Honoring Those Who Served

Request Funeral Honors ServicesIf you wish to request military funeral honors please use the - Army Honor Guard Request Form.

Obtain a DD214: Contact the Military Records Branch at (508) 422-1993, by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or FAX at (508) 422-1997.

Request Military Records: Form

Commitment: Honoring those who served is our commitment to recognize the sacrifice and contributions of our nation's veterans.

Funeral Honors Provided: A military funeral honors detail of two or more uniformed military personnel, which oversee folding and presenting the U.S. flag and playing "Taps" either by a high-quality recording or a bugler.

Eligibility for Military Funeral Honors:

• Military members who died while on active duty or in the selected reserve
• Former military members who served on active duty or in the selected reserve
Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and were discharged under honorable conditions


Mass Army National Guard Honor Guard JFHQS-MA
Military Funeral Honors Program
2 Randolph Road, Building 1505
Hanscom, AFB, Massachusetts 01731-3001

Office (339) 202-3177
Cell (774) 286-1915
Email address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
FAX# 339-202-0106


Veterans Service Organizations (VSO): Family member may coordinate with VSO to augment the two-person detail.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Directory of Veterans Service Organizations

How can the VSO help? They may do the following.

- Provide a firing party detail.

- Provide a color guard detail.

- Serve as pall bearers.

Massachusetts Medal of Liberty:

The Massachusetts Medal of Liberty is open to all branches of service and is awarded in the name of the Governor of Massachusetts as Commander-in-Chief of the Commonwealth to any Massachusetts serviceman or woman killed in action or who died as a result of wounds received in action.

Recommendation for Award - Medal of Liberty Pamphlet with TAGMA Form 3367


MA Veteran's Services: Cemeteries and Honors

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: National Cemetery Administration 

Frequently Asked Questions 

Question: How do I go about getting Honors?

Answer: Always go through your Funeral Director. He/She will contact the appropriate Service

U.S. Army  339-202-3177
U.S. Marine Corps 703-432-9524
U.S. Navy  860-694-3475
U.S. Air Force  781-225-6560
U.S. Coast Guard 617-990-6249

Question: Where can I get a copy of my loved ones DD214?

Answer: If they joined the military in Massachusetts you can call
Mr. Michael Perna at 508-422-1998 (Any Branch of the Service
For Army National Guard call 339-202-3177

Military Records Request Form

Question: Where do I get a flag?

Answer: The Funeral Director will get the flag for you. If you are not using a Funeral Home, you can take the Soldiers DD214 and the death certificate to the Post Office and they will provide one.

Question: How much does a Military Funeral Cost?

Answer: Nothing – You can not be charged for the service, that’s the law.

Question: Who is entitled to Military Funeral Honors?

Answer: Anyone who completed their first term of service and received an Honorable Discharge.

Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard members are entitled to at least a two person detail to play TAPS Fold the Flag and present the flag to the next of kin.

Interested in joining the Military Funeral Honors Program?

Suicide Prevention & Awareness

Sexual Assault Prevention

External Links | FOIA | Privacy Policy | NoFEAR Policy | FAQ | Webmaster

© Copyright 2023,  Massachusetts National Guard